- We can provide private tuition or group lessons in both classical and jazz on flute, clarinet and saxophones.
- We offer workshops in Jazz Improvisation (for any instruments).
- Classical masterclasses for flute, clarinet and saxophones.
- Musical direction for wind bands, big bands, jazz ensembles, saxophone choirs, clarinet choirs and flute choirs.
- School peripatetic tuition in flute, clarinet and saxophones.
Jazz and Improvisation Workshops
Our workshops are intended to appeal to all musicians of all ages, standards and experience, who have had little or no previous experience of improvisation. A minimum playing standard of grade 4 is recommended, but less experienced musicians can also benefit from the sessions.
We provide some percussion instruments, but musicians would be expected to bring their own instruments. Any musical instrument or percussion instruments can be used.
Our sessions will focus on aspects of jazz and improvisation which can benefit all musicians with experience of other musical genres.
We start with simple musical games and methods of communication on musical levels, to break down barriers and encourage confidence and self expression. Improvisation within the group in an ensemble environment is taught, with emphasis on listening and contributing. Musicians learn to find their own space within the group, and explore their creativity and imagination. As well as appreciating contributions from the other members of the ensemble. The group will learn to play over a simple chord progression, and individuals are encouraged to play solos once confidence has been established.
A brief discussion on the history and philosophy of jazz, and the effect of improvisation in all forms of music are covered.
The ultimate aim is for the group to be able to perform a piece of music, using various methods of jazz improvisation, in which all the musicians feel able to express and enjoy themselves.